Saturday, October 9, 2010

And So it Begins!

I've been to San Francisco many many times, but each time I come back, I can't get over the sheer vastness of it. Walking down the street, you get marauded by different characters or homeless looking for a fast buck. All I know, is that I am no longer in Salem.

So I arrived at the San Francisco YWAM base as the Blue Angels flew above me. It was actually quite the welcome. I was further welcomed by some familiar faces: Rick Homeyer (Second dad), Rhoda, and Dave Mansfield. All people that I have crossed in my many outings. I got the run down of what this YWAM base is about and what they focus on. Even without being told, I could tell that they focus on the homeless. I got the grand tour and then found out what the next two weeks would look like. If you couldn't tell exactly what I was doing from the last post, I am doing a two week school here with RescueNet which is a first responder medical team. With this training and little bit more in the future, I'll be able to mobilize with them when a disaster happens in the world and go out and give mercy medical services.


Medical + Traveling + People = What I've always wanted to do!!!


So I'll be here for two weeks training. It'll be 10+ hour days of just lectures, studying, hands on, balls to the wall learning. It'll be more of a focus on urban disasters and what we will do. Example: If you were to come upon a house partially destroyed by an earthquake and you suspected people possibly trapped, you would proceed through the house staying to the left the entire time until you came back to the entrance etc etc etc. We'll then have final scenarios in the end and put what we learned into practice. And then Haiti will happen right after that.

Coming into this kind of thing is never exactly easy when everyone is new and you can't get too much interaction because of constant lectures. So it's all about throwing yourself out there and hoping you can get close to some people. It will come with time. And it's a fight to push away an overwhelming sense of loneliness in the midst of people. But that won't last for long.

First night is always the hardest.

PS. I'm going to say that God is amazing, and all the support that came my way made me tear up more than a few times. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for supporting me and praying for me! I'll do you all proud and go all out! With love.

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment